OUR MISSION VISSION & ACTIVITIES
HMI’s Conflict Transformation Programme engages communities, religious and secular organizations, non-governmental and community-based organizations, social movement organizations and educational institutes as a facilitating companion in their journeys towards peaceful transformation of conflicts. We assists, individual, groups and organizations to gain better understanding, skills and process that help build peace. Our works can be broadly categorized as follows:
- Undertaking peace initiatives for the promotion of reconciliation and healing within and between conflicting groups, communities and organizations
- Facilitation and consultation that help peace practitioner and other stake holders to work on just peace
- Processes that assist people engaged in conflict to work on ways that move things in a positive direction
- Building and nurturing the capacity and skills of peace practitioners through participatory peace based workshops, internships, mentoring and support
- Integrating gender perspectives on peace and conflict
- Promoting better understanding of conflicts in South Asia and strengthening Global South collaboration and partnership for peace and justice
- Supporting communities, organizations and individuals in developing strategies and mechanisms that help build leadership, promote teamwork and cultivate peace.
Our Conflict Transformation Programme seeks to create broad awareness for peaceful, co-operative, non-violent responses to conflict and support institutions, communities, groups and individuals in the application of such responses. Central to our mission is the empowerment of people through training, skill development, study and mentoring. Our Conflict Transformation work is guided by a Praxis-Theory model and we believe that action and reflection go hand in hand in enabling constructive and appropriate responses to conflict.
- Nurturing processes and structures that enable people to respectfully share and listen to different perspectives.
- Strengthening processes that recognize, accept and celebrate people’s diversity whether individual, ethnic, linguistic, religious, political, cultural or any other kind;
- Building relationships between people of diverse backgrounds and beliefs as a crucial element to enrich our human experience and live in harmony;
- Encourage the study of different movements and struggles for social, economic and political justice;
- Enabling people to see peace building as multi-dimensional in nature and assist in evolving practices that help bring social change
- Networking and supporting collaboration between individuals and other people and groups advocating for peace and justice.
A team of committed and resourceful people from diverse religions, regions and backgrounds plan, facilitate and evaluate a range of activities and programmes:
- Participatory peace-based workshops in collaboration with local organizartions and groups in Manipur, Nagaland, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Gujarat, Jammu & Kashmir, and Andhra Pradesh
- Semi-annual workshops of 2-weeks duration in January and September which provide opportunities for people from India, neighbouring countries and other parts of the world to enhance understanding and skills on non-violent social change
- Regional level workshops of 5-day duration which provides space for peace practitioner working on intractable conflicts to share experiences, listen to different perspectives, narratives and an opportunity for networking
- Collaborating with organizations, communities and groups to analyse conflicts and seek ways that will help move things in a positive direction
- Internship opportunities for people to strengthen their skills in addressing various key issues
- Initiatives with schools to promote Culture of Peace
- Initiatives with organizations to evolve peace education programme and other resources
- Providing long term study opportunities on Conflict Transformation, Peacebuilding, Interfaith Relations and Reconciliation.
Some ways you can help
- Share information about HMI’s Conflict Transformation Programme with friends and partners
- Help sponsor peace practitioner from Global South to undertake long term capacity building programme at HMI
- Donate relevant books and other resources materials to HMI’s Peace Library
- Share with us stories of communities, individuals, and initiatives to help build peace
- Add us in your mailing list
- Help us to network with justice based peace organizations
- Suggest studies, research and finding on indigenous conflict transformation approaches
- Inform us of important events related to peace, conflict and process work
- Provide short or long term project grants that will help us and other peace practitioners to sustain peace efforts.