HISTORY

Certificate, Diploma And Post-Graduate Diploma Programmes In Islamic Studies And Interfaith Relations
Henry Martyn Institute: International Centre for Research, Interfaith Relations and Reconciliation (HMI) – was established on 27 January, 1930 in Lahore under the name of Henry Martyn School of Islamic Studies (HMSIS). The School was named after the nineteenth century British missionary who was appointed the first Chaplain to the British East India Campany. The School’s first Principal, L. Bevan Jones, suggested Henry Martyn’s name as a reminder and tribute to this great missionary and scholar.

The centre made a long journey physically too by shifting its residence from Lahore (1930-1938) to Landour (1938-1940) to Aligarh (1940-1962) to Jabalpur (1962-1966) to Lucknow (1966-1971) and finally to Hyderabad where at last the Institute rests on its own property. As the organization grew and its programmes expanded, its name was changed from Henry Martyn School to Henry Martyn Institute (1960). The change in the

institute’s overall thrust is best understood when one compares HMI’s response to the 1990 crisis with its activities during earlier times of strife. Now it is known as Henry Martyn Institute: International Centre for Research, Interfaith Relations and Reconciliation (HMI).

From 1971 to 2004 Institute functioned at our old campus at Abids, Hyderabad then we shifted to the new campus at Shivarampally, Near National Police Academy with a sprawling garden and lawns consisting of five acres.

The Henry Martyn School of Islamic Studies was established on 27 January, 1930 at 8 Egertan Road , Lahore . It remained there till 1938, when it moved to Landour, Massuri – a Himalayan hill station – where it occupied until 1940 the property made available by the American Presbyterian Mission. The financial burden has been home mainly by British mission societies – Methodist, Baptist and Anglican. But the move to Landour, and then in the autumn of 1940 to Aligarh , where the Institute remained till 1962, marked the beginning of an increased share by American missions. The American Methodist Church (Women’s Division) provided the property of the Institution. This was a time of transition. Two different sovereign states were created in the subcontinent. This was the time for the Henry Martyn School to decide whether to remain in India or to work in a Muslim state like Pakistan ? The committee of Management resolved in its 7 November, 1947 meeting; ‘the Henry Martyn School are agreed that the changed conditions brought about by the division of India greatly augment the opportunities for evangelism amongst Muslims in the Indian union; and that it seems advisable for the Henry Martyn School to remain in Aligarh’. (14) the Institute moved from Aligarh to Jabalpur in 1962, where it remained till October 1966, when it moved to Lucknow . Finally the Institute moved to its own proper in Hyderabad in December, 1971.

Principals of the School
Rev. L. Bevan Jones, B.A., BD, 1930 – 1941
Dr. Dwight M. Donaldso, DD., Ph. D., 1941 – 1950
Rev. Harold Spencer, M. A. 1950 – 1956
Dr. Akbar A. Haqq, M. A., Ph.D. 1956 – 1958
Miss. Irene G. West, LRAM 1958 – 1959

Director of the Institute
Rev. Emanuel Sadiq, M.A., LT, BD……………………….. 1959 – 1962
Rev. Ian H. Douglas, M Th., D.Phil…………………………1962 – 1967
Rev. David T. Lindell, M.Div……………………………………1968 – 1970
Dr. Sam V. Bhajjan, M.A, BD, M. Phil……………………..1970 – 1990
Rev. T.J. Chinnayya, BD, M.A.,M.Phil……………………..1990 – 1992
Dr. Andreas D’Souza, M.A., Ph.D…………………………..1993 – 2008
Dr. Varghese Manimala, MA, M.Phil,Ph.D……………..2009 – 2013
Rev. Dr. Packiam T. Samuel, BD, M.Th. MA, Ph.D…2013 – Present