HMI’s academic courses are designed to encourage and assist scholars in building bridges of understanding between Christians, Muslims, Hindus and people of other faiths. This is reflected in the syllabi of the different courses offered at HMI as well as in all its other activities.
POST-GRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES IN ISLAMIC STUDIES AND INTERFAITH RELATIONS
The Post-Graduate Diploma course is a nine-month programme designed for those who seek a deeper knowledge of Islam and interfaith relations. This programme is open to students from all religious and ideological backgrounds and has the objective of preparing them for interaction within a multi-faith society. Students are not assumed to have any significant previous background in Islam.
This programme of study can also serve as a preparation for students who wish to enrol in the Master of Theology – Islam degree – under the Senate of Serampore. It also prepares pastors to engage meaningfully in the pastoral life of the church in the context of the pluralistic Indian society.
Master of Theology (Religions – with focus on Islam), Senate Of Serampore College.
HMI collaborates with the Senate of Serampore College in offering an M.Th. degree in Islam. Students enrol at Serampore after passing an entrance examination held by the Senate of Serampore. The Serampore M.Th. programme consists of 40 credits worth of courses, and Serampore M.Th. students will normally take 20 of those credits under the auspices of HMI (typically 4 credits of Arabic language, 4 credits of Islamic Religion and 12 credits of thesis research). 2. Master of Arts in Islamic Studies, Luther Seminary, U.S.A. HMI has an agreement, whereby HMI will send selected M. A. level students to the M. A. in Islamic Studies programme at Luther Seminary in the United States, normally to take one semester of courses totaling 10 credits.
HMI offers courses in Arabic, Persian and Urdu each three-month term (60 hours of instruction). Each course is conducted at four levels: basic, elementary, intermediate and advanced, and each level is offered each term.
HMI offers an intensive 10-week summer language programme (June to August) in Arabic, Sanskrit, Persian or Urdu. Classes are held for three hours a day, five days a week with three or four hours of preparation time by the student required each day. The course is quite intensive, with approximately 150 hours of classroom time. The course concentrates on developing language skills in conversation, reading and writing at different levels depending on prior experience
STUDENTS INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Henry Martyn Institute (HMI), an ecumenical Christian and non-profit organisation promoting reconciliation between people of different faiths and cultures, is seeking seminary graduate and undergraduate students for its Interfaith Relations Internship position. The internship is designed to provide hands-on experience in interfaith and inter-religious dialogue work in both academic and praxis work of HMI.
- Help design and implement interfaith work for the HMI community
- Help strengthen and coordinate the various interfaith initiatives
- Support in establishing relationships with outside religious and interfaith organizations to implement and strengthen the academic programmes
- Elp create, develop, write and interpret other relevant interfaith programmes’ materials for new initiatives
- Help coordinate the HMI interfaith programmes
- Attend training sessions and ongoing programme meetings as scheduled • Perform administrative tasks as needed
- Internship duration: one month to three months
- HMI office hours: 9:45 a.m. – 5:15 p.m. (Monday – Friday)
- Minimum 20 hours/week commitment
- Students pursuing an undergraduate or graduate-level degree in religious studies or any other relevant discipline.
- Prior organisational experience is useful but not compulsory • Enthusiasm for working in an NGO setup
- Good written and oral communication skills (English language)
- Sensitivity to religious and cultural differences, and the ability to navigate difficult conversations and topics
Credits and Certificate: Internship completion certificate will be awarded with credit.
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to:
Program Officer Mobile No. 91+9550429178 Via email: email@example.com
For more information about the Henry Martyn Institute, please visit: www.hmiindia.com